First of all thanks so much to all of you for the quick courteous replies and for taking the time to reply. Times like this are very difficult to be sure. To give you an idea of what I am working with, my mom, though not wealthy by any means is not necessarily in need of the money involved here immediately. Her emotions are definitely affecting her decisions, however. Her comment to me was "I'll let the da*n thing set there and rust before I take much less than what he has in it.". I spent a lot of time with my dad and I know that is not what he would want. He would want someone to get the truck for what would be a fair price then restore it and either drive it or show it whichever they decided. Letting it sit there and "rust" is definitely not what he would want. Not with all the time he spent getting the parts. The actual decision is moms, but I have a, ahem, little influence.
@GMONIZ: Thanks very much for the amounts and links. The truck is in parts. Dad purchased the cab (5 window) and frame and then began acquiring parts "one at a time". The title is clear and we have receipts for all of the parts including the frame and cab save a couple such as the wood for the bed. We are not sure about the engine (trans is included). It has been completely rebuilt but that was a couple years back and has been sitting. Dad said it was running and that he had heard it running. If it was rebuild correctly, I would expect little problems. Am I incorrect there? I have helped rebuild a few engines many years ago (remember Ford 351 Cleveland's). If we knew motors were not going to be installed and running soon after rebuilding it, we used a lot of ess tee pee, doubleu d forty, overfilled it with oil and filled the cylinders with oil to prevent any possibility of rust. We'd also rotate the engine manually a few turns ever so often. As far as looks, the motor looks great. The valve cover is off and the topside looks good. A friend of mine has agreed to see if he can get it running, but his health is bad so I am at his mercy as far as schedule.
@nrdesieyes Thanks for the stovebolt locator link. Actually we live in a very ruraly part of VA but on the TN border and there are a couple a short distance away.
@Hellomrwilson: Thanks for the comments. I wasn't really looking for a dollar amount at this point anyway, just a way to try and value it.
@Drewp: Thanks for the comments. I never thought of a professional appraiser. Never considered that there was such a thing. I will call the insurance co tomorrow.
I am not expecting to get back what dad invested in the truck. I realize all kinds of factors affect the value of the truck, even the current economic climate. I do have to admit, however, I thought those trucks were worth much more than what they are selling for. I may have mentioned that I am a PC pro. To me this is similar to building my own PC. I can go to website, order the parts and assemble the parts myself or pay to have them assembled and I have a workable computer. Or I can go to one of those companies that sell pc's (like that company that used to say, "Dude, you'e got yourself a ****) and buy a very simlilar PC spec-wise for most likely less money. However, by building it myself, I have that satisfaction and I know exactly what parts I have and what brand. And whenever I use it, I think, I built that myself. Same with woodworking and minor home repairs which I also do as a hobby (like I bet most of you do as well). Now if I decide to sell that PC I won't be able to sell it for the value of the parts I used to assemble it.
Some of the suggestions you guys have made I have thought of especially the pictures. I considered posting pictures, I just wasn’t sure what to post and where. A picture of an old truck cab and frame along with some pics of fenders, windshields, etc.. didn't make much sense at the time.
Based on your comments and suggestions, here is what I have decided to do. First, charge my camera batteries, create a online photo album and start clicking. Then, contact insurance companies, car clubs, etc and see if I can find someone to come see the truck and give me an honest realistic appraisal. Also get an "ball park" estimate on what it would cost to restore the truck based on its current condition. Also, search the classifieds, etc.. for what a restored truck (that started out in the same condition as this one if possible) would sell for. I'd be looking for ads that say "Completely restored", "Runs good", etc.. and will not include "needs .....". Should be a fairly easily calculation from that point, huh. Factor in the point that if someone happens to be looking for a project truck (such as the lady mentioned in my original post), having all of the parts needed here in one sale may increase the value somewhat.
Again, thanks so much for your help and I will keep you updated. Also, guys, as you can probably guess, I posted in a couple other forums for help just to get as much info as I could. From them I received 0 (that's zero) responses. As far as I am concerned, you guys rock. Got a PC question? PM me I'll see of I can help lmao.
Tony