I wanted your opinion on a situation I'm in with a paint shop and my beloved 55.2 Chevy Napco. This is rather long, but bear with me.
I live in a small town and there are very few quality paint shops around here. I was referred to a 1-man shop. He came with the highest recommendations from more than two people and I saw some of his work. His shop is a restoration shop, not a collision shop.
I met him and felt that he could handle the job and towed my truck to the shop. That was 3 months ago. The body work was about 85% complete though he found a lot of work that needed to be done.
I go every Saturday to check on progress and it's going very slow. He seems to always be on another project and I am always "up next". He has done most of the blocking on the cab and fenders. He has the interior and dash shot.
Here is my dilema. I feel like this is going to take another 6 months to complete and I'm sick of waiting. Also, I saw a Corvette in the shop and he mentioned it belonged to the owner of the building. He mentioned he was "a couple months behind in rent and is doing some work on the car to make up for it".
Should I pack up and run?
Reasons for keeping the truck with him.
1. Quality work.
2. He lets me work on the truck in his shop.
3. It's half way done.
4. It may end up costing me more to paint the truck by pulling it and moving to another shop. Towing alone is $65 back to my house. I have $3,000 into the project. Expecting a total of $5,000.
Reasons for packing and running.
1. He is on financial thin ice.
2. He is taking way too long.
3. I'm up all night worrying that the truck will never be done or I'll show up and the doors will be locked.