Jockbolter 50, from my experience doing the tricky procedures in metal working benefits greatly from beginning by having proper technique demonstrated. Back in the early 1970s when I was restoring my '36 pickup I took an evening adult education class in body repair. The instructor was the owner of a body shop.

Even then he acknowledged that body repair without bondo was a "lost art" in the commercial shops. He was, however, a master of that lost art and demonstrated for the tiny handfull of those of us who were interested ultra-light gauge metal welding, hammering the weld, bumping metal into rough shape, hammer/dolly finish metal shaping, finding high/low spots with a vixen file, pick hammer use for raising of low spots, minor shrinking with a "slapping file", major shrinking with an oxy-acetylene torch/hammer/dolly/wet shop rag.

I was awed by what could be accomplished with the most simple and crude of "old school" tools. Forty years later I still like looking at my restored '36 pickup and going down memory lane about all the skills that restoration project taught me.

Recently an old friend who is building a auto cross race car with his son asked me to shrink a damaged panel on their race car. To my total amazement I could still do it, kind of like never forgetting how to ride a bicycle. So, once learned, those skills are with us until we're sitting in the rocking chair drooling.

I will admit that the world has changed since then and the emphasis now is on speed of finishing and low price, not quality. That is why China's economy is thriving.



Ray