Let me try again. The pad on my block shows a number of 3836233. I went to the Inliners link page and looked at the list of 235 engines for the appropriate 55 year/casting number. The list shows a 55 engine, 235 as follows:

55 - 1st Series = 3733949
55 - 04/01/56 = 3836233 (my casting number)
55-57 - Chev = 3838004 (this is the number in the listing.)

Some parts suppliers list different part numbers for a 55 engine. I am assuming that this may be for an early or late engine, thats why sometimes you get a part and it does not fit exactly. All I'm trying to do is make sure mine is an early or late series to avoid any problems in ordering. (or returning parts)

Moneypit, I got the sedan delivery info from one of our Stovebolters who apparently looked it up. I just took his word on it.

Red58, if there is no difference between a 1st or 2nd Series 55 engine, then why do suppliers have different part #'s listed for for a 55 engine? Emample: Jim Carter Truck Part - Oil Pump, page 101 shows as follows:

Part # ME251 = 1954-55
Part # ME252 = 1955-62

Which one would you order, I'm not sure or am I missing something thats really simple? I just don't want to go through all the hastle in returning a part, paying a restocking fee, shipping and all just because I did not know what I was ordering or what I have. I'm sure mine is a late 55 according to "inliners" and just wanted to know the difference.