here's some more info:
Yes he was plowing at the time. I don't know how the plow pump is wired. It was snowing so darn hard we couldn't inspect it or get under to the starter.

On the the fender mounted solonoid, when I jumped it, or connected the two large battery cables together, the pump motor ran, but not enough to move the plow. turning the key in this configuration produced nothing.

We did try to jump it with another vehicle, but that didn't affect anything. Didn't cause the jumping vehicle to act as if under a load.

The lights didn't dim at anytime we tried to start it either. The battery terminals were a bit loose, but don't appear corroded.

Vehicle has only one battery, and I don't know how pump is wired...but I suspect it may be the culprit. My guess is the he may have been trying to lift the blade when it died. Can't confirm that though.