Hi all,
My 1948 Chevy "Thriftmaster" PU has been in the family since 74 and I restored it in high-school in 1983/84. Recently it refuses to start when cold with-out the use of starting fluid. Once it warms up, it will start right up. The other thing I've noticed is that if it is on a flat idle, warmed up or cold, and you stomp on it, it caoughs and sometimes even back fires and tries to stall, but if you get it up off idle just a tad, and mash it, it revs right up. The only thing I can tell is different is the exh donut is leaking a bit recently. It is a 235 bored .040 over all stock cam, manifolds, and a one-barrel rochester manual choke carb. The vacuum advance seems to be working correctly, and I can't seem to find any vacuum leaks. Please help me figure this out, as she is my alternate daily driver, and just pulled my 66 Datsun with over 3500# of parts spread between the chevy and the datsun from San Diego to Seattle averaging 55-60 mph (except the mountains) getting an average 10mpg and it's all factory brakes etc....
Well thanks in advance for the help!!
Garry