That's odd that others don't have holes in them. It's more of a short hole to just hold a little more oil in the bottom. I'll try to take some pictures.

We didn't take the side cover off to look at the lifters, but they seem to be moving ok.

We ended up bending the old rods back into more or less straight shape, and putting them back in. The valves are more or less free now, but one of them is slow to return. I'll keep putting oil on it, and turning it over with the starter to hopefully free it up. The other two seem to be functioning normally now.
I may have to take that rod out again, and exercise it with the hammer.

This old engine has always been a little bit of a mystery to me, so while it's not the best of timing to have to work on it, I'm learning something about how it works. smile

Is there a downloadable version of that service manual?

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.