Well, I probably need to have my head examined, but I bought a '55 Chevy 6400 this weekend and had it trailered to where she'll sit until I get her running. Yesterday evening, before running out of light, we managed to pull out all of the mouse mummies and the nests that were literally overflowing out of the glovebox on onto the floor (I counted at least 4 mummified mouse skeletons as we progressed from the newest nests to the oldest), and the various mulm and shreds that decorated the floor. We also managed to wash the 20 years of grime (1990 was the last time she'd been washed), and found out it's actually more of a green color than the blue color that we originally thought.

It's been under the biggest carport known to man for the last 20 years, and was driven up and down the county road a few times by some industrious teenagers who actually got her started about 3-4 years ago. They say that it sputtered quite a bit, so my first order of business will be to pull the carburetor and put in new fuel filters, working my way up from there. As you can see from the picture below, it has the grain bed, and it does have a dump cylinder. The PO couldn't find the keys when I showed up to pick it up. How much more of a problem did this make things for me?

I can't tell if it has the 261 or the 235. I've been researching that, and still don't know which numbers I'm looking for, or where they are on the engine. The only thing I could see tonight when I looked at the block were 3 sets of numbers in the casting by the sparkplugs: 88 848 8850 (I think, it's dark, and those numbers were hard to read without a light). Any guessers? I didn't see the captain's bars, but I'm not convinced I know where I'm looking yet.

Anyway, thanks for looking. I'm sure I'll be asking all sorts of ridiculous questions over the next few months.

Below is a link to a picture of the truck. My understanding is that inline photos are a no-no here. Please let me know if I misinterpreted that.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...479_150111418362047_269175_6875408_n.jpg