I am preparing for the addition of the bed wood on my 1954 3600 long box truck.
I followed the milling instructions
here.
Setting up the bed sills and the wood has created a few questions I hope can be answered here.
First, the truck when I first bought it had a strip running from side to side at the front bed panel with the center strips all butting up to it.
Almost all of the pictures I have seen just have the center strips butting right up to the front bed panel with no front strip going side to side at all, I know the truck bed is not original when I bought it so I was wondering if someone could set me straight on how this is properly laid out.
Another thing is the instructions on milling the bed wood say
"All but the outer boards have grooves milled down both sides to allow for the wear strips. The outer boards only have the groove on the inside edge. The outside edge is left alone for the angle strip to rest on."
So if the center strips fit into the grooves that would make them flush at the rear cross sill and if the angle strips are sitting on the outer boards as they say then they would be sitting higher then the top of the rear cross sill.
Is that the way they are suppose to go?
You would think you would have them all flush to the rear cross sill or am I missing something?
The last thing I am kind of stumped on is the placing of the wood under the angle strips, the strips will be wielded to the side panels and the strips have square bolt holes right in the center, is the outer edge of the wood just suppose to butt up to the bolts and then tighten the bolts down or do you actually bolt through the wood on the outer edge?
I have yet to lay the wood, strips out on the floor and take an actual measurement, but from some quick addition I have come up with the wood, strips (1/4 " bolts in between the wood) add up to 49 1/4 " and the box cavity is 49 3/4" which leave a 1/4 " on each side.
The center of the bolt hole on the angle strip is 1" from the edge.
To me it does not seem like there will be enough room not to bolt into the wood and if that is the case isn't the idea to have the boards movable so as not to break them.
Also I ordered the "Angle strip set" (4) and "Bed strip kit" (2) from LMC
here, what is the "Bed wear strip" (3) and where does this go?
The Angle strips have holes starting about 1 inch from each end, but the Bed strip kit has a double hole at on end of all the pieces and the "Bed wear strip" has no holes at all.
Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Ken