Tommy,

You answered the original question but this topic has wandered a little in response to your mention of dual Carter-Weber carburetors.

The "one too many carburetors" conjecture might be a bad analysis/guess with regard to the dual C-Ws.

My limited experience using dual Carter-Weber carbs sold by Tom Langdon is that they do not seem to be too much for a 261 with dual Fenton exhaust headers. The C-W carbs are, I think, the model 740 which was also a Motorcraft part and was used on 1600cc Escorts. Actually, these dual C-Ws seem to be under-sized, but Tom Langdon informed me that larger secondary jets might help this situation. Someday I might give this a try.

Nonetheless, my dual C-W set-up has been no heartache. They look a little too modern but they have been 100% reliable and foolproof (me being the fool in question). They are also very economical to run, unless I push them (they get 18 mpg at 60 mph but 12 mpg at 70 mph).