I have a 55 1st Chevy truck with a 55 235 that has a vacuum advance that will not work. The question is does this vacuum pull to advance or release to advance? I have been told both ways!! When this engine is started the vacuum advance immediately pulls all the way in and never releases. You can pull it out with your hand and it goes right back in. Someone said that it should pull in like that then release during acceleration. Someone else said it should be at rest when idling then pull in during acceleration. Seems to me it should be at rest until acceleration then advance the time by pulling in. I have taken it off and you can push it in then hold your finger over the hole and it will not release until you move your finger which makes me think it is good but it will not move the distributor at all, I think because it stays pulled all the way in all the time. So, is it me or the vacuum advance that is retarded?? How is this thing supposed to work?? thanks!!! slowgoer