I have what I think is a 216 but I suppose it could be a 235 in a 52 Chevrolet dump truck. I changed the points in it by removing the distributor and took careful note of where the rotor was facing. Previously the truck ran but not very smoothly. After I put it in the truck popped a couple of times but wouldn't start. I left the bolt loose on the bottom of the distributor. When I replaced the points I replaced a striped screw. The new screw was just long enough where it hit the weights under the points thus causing the distributor to lift up enough to become disengage with the oil pump drive and cause my timing to be mega off. As an added bonus I dropped and broke my distributor. I also managed to have the distributor cap come unhooked from half the plug wires. I am at square one at this point. I need to redo the firing order, find TDC, and either find or fix my distributor.
I want to know which cylinder is number one, the firing order, if there is an easy way to find TDC other than to put my thumb over a spark plug hole and feel for compression, and if I have to what distributors will work for my motor. I had a distributor for a 235 full pressure motor but it didn't fit. I am pretty sure my motor is a babbit pounder but I don't know if it is a 216 or a 235.