Sorry I wasn't clear enough....The shaft at the top of the picture runs to the transmission and the shaft at the bottom runs to the rear axle. The center section slides forward(up) to engage the gear that other wise spins freely on the front shaft. The center section would slide back to engage the rear section of the drive shaft to drive the rear axle. In the middle where it is sitting in the picture neither the rear axle nor the gear are engaged.

I got the truck out of a field where it had sat for years...as far as I know it was being used as a farm truck in some capacity... it's original life I have no idea about.

If the PTO is aftermarket(which I was thinking to begin with...but who knows), has anyone ever seen such a drive before? I believe it is an engineered system as it is too well done to be homemade, unless someone had their own machine shop. I've never seen or heard of such a system before, granted I am only 30..so this truck is 34 years older than I am. smile

Last edited by Jungerfrosch; 06/02/2010 5:43 PM.

1946 Chevy OS 1.5ton, 1955 GMC 3100, along with other various IH,Ford,Nash,MGB,.....