Need some advice from the Xpurts.

Rebuilt a 261 engine fairly stock ...circa 1959 and when installing the exhaust manifold I replaced the unthreaded studs (locating studs ? )at either extremes ends of the exhaust manifold with grade 8 bolts.

Guy came over my place and said that my manifold would break with these bolts in place once the engine was fired up and came up to running temp.
He further suggested that if I was concerned with sealing the exhaust manifold that I should install regular studs and use brass nuts as they would allow for some expansion on the hot manifold.

Who is crazy... me for trying to seal the manifold with an extra bolt or does his gray hair means he is wise....???

Need to know before I fire my engine up and cause grief!!!!

Thanks for your help

Bob Carriere


Bob C.
CMP Heaven
The Hammond Barn