I just ordered a Novak adapter to put a SM420 into my '64 Jeep. I have a good one out of a "53 step van, but I also have other 4-speeds out of older trucks. One was a "49 GMC for sure. Are these shorter tranmissions also SM420s? They are about 1.5 inch shorter and have a trigger to get into reverse. The gear ratios seem the same, but the Novak tech wasn't familar with these transmissions and didn't know if they would work. The shorter 1.5 inch may make a difference in mounting to the cross member in the Jeep. I'll try the adapter on these when I get it, but was wondering if there was a website or other information sources to read about these older ones. Back to one 420 that I have for sure. I need to get the shifting rod out and reverse it. Pushing down and turning doesn't seem to work. In fact, I can't push it down at all. Help on how to do this would be appreciated. (I know a Jeep is a four letter word, but it sort of looks like a Chevy cab and has a cool grill. Besides, it has a chevy engine in now)