Ok, Being that I have a Real Military ambulance. I have had it for just over two months. This is what I found out by a well known military guru.
The years that followed WW11: Now this guy is a member here but, he don't talk much. but, He knows his stuff and is a chevrolet/gmc truck club member and is well qualified as he has many... many... military trucks etc.
What he said and I have verified:
The military did NOT have any companies build trucks special for the Military. ALL trucks etc. were based off of the cars/trucks found in a local dealer lot. The companies did offer the cars/truck in OD paint. and were basic in every way.
Lighting: All lighting such as on my 51 were leftovers from WW2 and was added to the truck such as the blackout lights,ambulance light and siren on the fender.
The truck was a clamshell that was converted to the barn door for the ambulance use at a later date. The military used both door layouts.
The rims were standard but, in OD with blackwalls.
Trucks for the use by the local offices were built with Chrome grill,bumpers and Mirrors and the stainless around the windshield.
MY 51 Was a fleet truck with NO chrome and all was painted. which is a harder to find set up from what I am told.
All Suburbans are 1/2 tons only.
there is a little more info but, that is the major amount for this subject.
Now the truck may have the 216 or 235 motors and all were 4 speeds.
That is all I can verify at this point.
I do know that the paint was OD but, had a bit of shine to it. at some point before 1959 It was painted a Flat OD. in 1959 It was painted white and blue Civil Defence for the Town OF Berlin,Ma
Poets Seat AutoAppraisals, Parts, ServicePast: General Motor's Master Technician
Member:
Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck ClubPhone Number: 413.774.5856
Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.