I recently purchased a beautiful ’53 Chevy 3600 (3/4 ton). The prior owner had the body and paint done right with new glass if needed and all new rubber. The interior is nice with new seat cover, floor mats, etc. He installed dual brake cylinders. He left the original 216 ci engine, 4 speed transmission and rear end. The old motor leaks oil profusely and has low power but starts and runs ok. The rear end is so low ratio that I can’t drive in traffic. The transmission is hard to find 3rd from 4th when slowing down to make a turn.

What replacement engine would be my best choice for making this a daily driver? Are “new” modern engines available or would I want to rebuild a different engine? Same question for transmission and rear end? Any guidance will be appreciated.


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/