Go to Licenseplates.tv They make EXACT replica plates - completely indistinguishable from restored originals.

I did one for my recently restored and sold '76 Porsche. In California, '76 just happened to be the first year for personalized plates. So I went on the DMV website and picked a custom plate number, ordered it. Then ordered a '76 replica plate. When the DMV notified me the custom plates were in, I picked them up. I put the sticker on the blue replica and viola! PERFECT replica '76 California blue plate with number that matches the registration.

This site will not ship to California (don't know their policy on Oregon) so I had it shipped to an out of state friend who shipped it to me. They cost $75 each so I bought one. Had Kinko's make a color copy on card stock for the front one and put it in a frame with a cover on it.

Eventually I will do this for my '46 truck. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03/11/2010 6:12 AM.