I have a '31 chevrolet coupe. It has the original 194 c.i. however it has some serious knocking issues. It doesn't smoke out of the exhaust much, but a lot of blow by out of the draft tube and breathing holes.
This engine will need to be rebuilt soon. There are no more shims left and the engine is quite worn out it seems.
Although I won't be tackling this project soon I will eventually get to it when finances allow. How much would one expect to pay to rebuild one of these engines? Would it be recommended to have it changed to insert bearings. I would love to try to handle as much of it myself as possible, but I had a bad experience with a 235 in a '57 chevy a few years ago. I was (and still am) new to engines and it seemed there are few people left who can actually build one of these older engines and do it correctly.
I considered trying to find an old used or unwanted 235 somewhere. I seem to find people pulling these for replacement and not wanting them sometimes, even thought they are worn out I may be able to put one of these in just to get a few more years of life out of the car without having to wait on the 194. Will a 235 sit down in the '31. I hate that it wouldn't look original but i mostly enjoy driving it anyway... not a show car.
So, in summation: This is not something I plan to do soon, but I'd just like to get an idea of how much money it's going to take to get the 194 back in shape. Also, in the mean time, if I happened upon another 6 cyl, what models will fit and bolt into the '31?

Thanks,
Brandon