Hey all,
How do you tighten painted bolts and nuts without chipping the paint off? Also, I am putting the parts back in the dash. there is paint build up on the holes. I am having troube getting the switches through the holes. How do I do that with chipping? example: heater switch, choke, throttle, radio..etc. holes...
Thank you
I used a tapered reamer (
http://www.mcmaster.com/#3018a4/=541z85) to clean the paint out the holes and ran a tap through all of the threads. Put a dab of anti-sieze on the parts that go through the holes and it should keep the bare metal from rusting.
To tighten the bolts, you may want to consider using washers and assembly lube under the bolts that thread directly into the sheet metal (otherwise tighten on the back side). The biggest problem I've had with new paint is bulging around the area of compression. Unless the new paint was baked, it's probably going to be soft for a while.