I remember when I put a power booster on a 65 Tempest conv. It made a world of difference in pedal effort. All it took was a booster/mc that matched and it bolted up. You won't be that lucky on the "just bolt up". I tried to run discs on the front of my 50 chev pu without a power booster. I thought it took too much pedal effort. I agree that the stock brakes are adequate, but if your Mother is not used to the pedal effort, I would look into adding at least a power boost to the shoe brake set up. You will need to find a small booster to fit under the floor along with fabricating a new bracket to mount to.(study the pictures of the store bought one) All of this can be store bought. I know it can be over $100, but your Mother's safety is worth doing it right, if you don't have the skills. I think it is MCI? that specializes in brakes. They can be very helpful in getting the correct set up.