So the factory replacement engines didn't have an unique serial number? So if the installer had transfered it to the new engine, then I could have had a 261 with a 235 S/N. Kind of glad it didn't happen becasue it's been confusing enough.

I've seen several pics of the remote mountings and I'm feeling confident enough that I'll figure out a way to make it work. No dual carb or dual exhaust to route around (yet).

The leak is coming out of the joint between the can and the head. I haven't seen it do it, but it looks like it burps a little out and then through some combination of heat and pressure, it seals it up well enough to not be a constant leak at idle. I haven't noticed any change in the level and it doesn't take much oil to make mess.

Looking for a replacement filter for this can is really what started this thread. Though my search hasn't been exhaustive, I haven't seen anything in the way of replacement part numbers. I have heard some comments about the leaks that come from the difficulty of getting that seal positioned correctly. I haven't really tore into it yet since I don't have any replacement parts to keep it running.

It is impressive... I guess I'm going to have to think about the pros/cons of using the old filter. Only thing really pushing me towards the remote filter is just simplicity. I can put it where it will be easier to contain the mess when I change the oil and commonality with the Dakota filter would be nice.

I'm not going to get worked up about what the GMC guys will say. It's not like I'm really listening to anybody who slags off someone else's truck anyway. Well, maybe unless they're slagging a Ford.


Thanks,

Ben