Guys,
I'm trying to get some heat in my old '53 gmc. I have an old heater core, control valve, and fan and core shell that came in boxes along with the truck. I have the shell/fan motor/heater core installed on the firewall now, but have some questions:
1. How do I know if I have a 12 volt or 6 volt fan motor?
2. What does the part that controls the heat/defrost flapper look like? It appears to be a throttle cable like device like the choke control. Where could I get one or can I just get one at autozone?
3. How does the water flow control work? It has an element sticking off of it that looks to be thermostatically controlled. WHere does that thermo thingy mount and how does the little control on it work?
4. If anyone has a pic of their setup they could snap real quick and easy that would be super helpful. I haven't found anything on the internet. I did find one "switch" that clipped onto the dash edge but I believe it to be for the fan. What about the amount of heat? Is it controlled by the amount of water being let through the control valve into the heater core? Where is its control mounted?
Sorry for all the questions, I just like to supply as much info as possible so whoever reads this stuff can understand my problem. BTW, I believe it to be a factory original heater.
Last of all, would I be better off just getting the aftermarket heater setup like from classicparts.com and putting it in as far as getting by cheaper? I like the factory setup better and want to keep it if it is feasible.
Thanks,
JBJennings