Well here is my story and it worked out really well. Yes, I took off the front clip totally and removed the steering shaft and all that connected the cab to the front and rear of the truck.
I took the doors off and removed the windshield. I unbolted the frame bolts and put a 2x6 across from one door opening to the other after adjusting the truck below my little chain hoist. I drilled holes into the 2x6 just outside the door area and put a chain through them and picked it up. I already had a piece of old plywood cut to about 4 foot square with some cheap casters from Lowe's under it.
I wheeled out the truck and pushed the plywood under the cab while it was swinging. That way I could roll it around in my pole barn. This worked out very well.
Gary


GS