| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,126 Posts1,056,354 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | With a GMC 270 and an SM420 (3.58 second gear) with 3.08 rear gears I get along fine until I hook up something like a tandem axle car trailer.
3.58 x 3.08 = 11.0264 3.11 x 3.23 = 10.0453
Your total ratio in your starting out gear isn't quite as deep as mine, but your hot rod 292 probably pulls harder than my stock 270.
In everyday driving, with a minimal load and no trailer, I think it should be great. Add a heavier load or a trailer and you may not be satisfied.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |