| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,466 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 | Hello Guys, I am kinda new to these trucks so be gentle! I have always been around farms and these old trucks but lately I have been getting the itch to pick one up for myself. I just need to figure out which one I need! Anyways, I do alot of work on older tractors for local farmers here in Central IL. I went to try and resurect a old John Deere A for a neighbor and he said his grain truck was going down the road and started hammering and the engine just stopped. Now it wont turn over. I went to look at it for him yesterday and we draine the oil pan and got mostly antifreeze out of it. Looked a little higher and found a dent and a hole in the oil pan where apparently a rod had tried to escape. Knowing that there probably wasnt much help for the engine we decided to pull it in the near future. This truck is a 1961 Chevrolet Viking 60, body is in perfect condition and he just put new rubber all the way around. The truck is too good to give up on now. The original motor must have been a 261??? According to the casting numbers on the block and head it appears to have a 1964 292 in it now. . My question is what is the best route to approach this? He has called Jasper and they will rebuild his motor for 2400 bucks, but it will take a little over a month, with harvest season here we are looking for a quicker option. Are these motors available anywhere as a "crate" engine? Would I be better to try and find one locally in a junk yard or something? I would assume when we pull the engine we can leave the transmission setting on the frame member while the engine and clutch is pulled away? I am thinking that the hood and radiator, possibly the front grill will need to come out, correct? Just looking for some input! Thanks, Luke
Bunch of Minneapolis Moline Tractors and Equipment. No bolts yet, just waiting....
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| Triple L Paints | 10/14/2009 3:12 PM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| 3B | 10/14/2009 3:48 PM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| Triple L Paints | 10/14/2009 5:00 PM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| Scott '48 2ton | 10/14/2009 5:15 PM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| Triple L Paints | 10/14/2009 7:16 PM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| Scott '48 2ton | 10/14/2009 9:58 PM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| J Lucas | 10/15/2009 3:44 AM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| C10 - C90 Bill | 10/16/2009 12:44 AM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| 48bigtrucks | 10/16/2009 1:43 AM |
Re: New to Big Bolts, First Issue
| Triple L Paints | 10/16/2009 2:34 PM | |
| |
| |