Hey all,

I just buttoned up my T5 tranny swap for the third time and no joy. I used the Buffalo Enterprises T5 adapter, my original 1938 9-1/8" diameter pressure plate, a RCF-4203 clutch disk for a mid 80's S10 and the original 1938 throwout bearing, fork and linkage. All of the original 1938 parts are in good condition with only 37,000 miles and they worked just fine with the original three speed last month. I had the flywheel resurfaced about 500 miles ago.

The trouble is the clutch won't completely release. I can get the trans into third and fourth with the engine running and I can crash it into reverse (that was enough to let me take a quick run around the block!), but I can't get into first or second with the motor running. If I put in into first and then bump the starter, the whole truck wants to roll forward just a little.

I put the tranny and disk in by themselves and verified that there is enough spline to allow the disk to come back away from the flywheel about 3/4" and that the input shaft spins freely in the pilot bearing. I carefully looked to see if the disk has been rubbing the inside of the pressure plate diaphram or the flywheel bolts, but there is no evidence of such. I have poured over the pressure plate to make sure there are no broken diapham fingers, retraction springs, etc.

If I had any hair left, I'd be pulling it out! Any ideas?

Pictures of the situation can be found on the last page of my webshots photo album in a few minutes.



1938 HC half-ton - Buford
1954 Chevy 3600
2024 Chevy Colorado