make a jig. The last frame I shortened was an S-10 frame. I made a jig that picked up the front half of the frame section and the rear half. I drilled 4 locating holes in the frame. The jig had 4 additional holes located at the new location.

I took a photograph, drew dimensional lines and measured frame height, diagnals, lengths, etc. Then using a calculator, I had a list of measurements to check everything.

I ground out the factory welds cleaned up the frame sections, then trimmed, and re-assembled the frame. located the frame with the jig, verified the dimensions, tacked the frame, re-verified the dimensions, then welded it up.

If you are not shortening the frame where the factory front/rear connect (middle of a c-channel section) then you would need to use fish plates for every splice that is normal to the frame rail


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me