My '62 Suburban is my daily driver. The '60-'62 radiators are different than the '63-'66.
What I found is that the original radiators on '60-62 used a bigger 3/4-ton radiator for automatic transmission applications. It's slightly bigger, and slightly wider, and is a bolt-in. I got a repro 4-core, 3/4-ton radiator from US radiator.

I also hunted for a factory fan shroud. It took a lot of time, but I found one. The '60-'62 1/2-ton radiators used a different style than the 3/4-ton, so I've had to find all three styles before getting the right one. It isn't on yet though.

My truck was a 283, and originally came with a HD 7-blade fan. I replaced it with a 7-blade clutch fan. It sits back from the radiator 6 inches (which is a LONG way), and still will hold a piece of notebook paper tight to the radiator at idle. I expect it will suck small birds out of the air once I get the shroud on.

I also used a 160-degree thermostat in the summer, as it pops open sooner and I think that gives me a head-start on keeping things cool. In the winter, it runs too cold, so I use a 180-degree.

I've replaced the 283 with a 290hp crate 350, 4spd OD manual trans and 3.42 gears in the rear. I drive in Atlanta traffic with little problem (the shroud will all but eliminate what little concerns I do run into), and honk down the experessway in the left lane, passing people like they're standing still.

I've driven it to Maxton, NC, West Palm Florida (1,600 mile round trip), Ocala Fl (1,000 mile round trip), and I'm heading to Joplin, MO next week (2,000 mile round trip).

As I said, the radiators are different between the years, but you should be able to get a bigger radiator, a clutch fan and a fan shroud without any problem.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.