Well, I might need 2 more trucks because I'm bouncing between 3 different ideas. I'll probably leave it as a flat bed for now since that's what I've got and it requires the least work and money. But I've got 2 short beds at my disposal so I can build a 9' step bed someday and switch to single wheels or I can build a wider step bed that clears the outside duals and put tubs in the inside like a fleetside bed to clear the inside wheels. I've got plenty of work to do in the meantime before I have to make a final decision. By the way, I was able to drive the truck down the road this weekend for the first time; about 5 miles. I took it to town to the car wash to clean it up a bit. It ran pretty good on the way there considering it hasn't been started in 5 years. On the way back it ran pretty rough because I washed the engine and the old plug wires have been chewed on by mice. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to steer. We had an old '57 farm truck when I was a kid that was a bear to steer so I was expecting this one to be the same. At least I know that I won't have to spend any more time trying to figure out how to add power steering. Now I'm going to put the HEI distributor and new wires on it and drive it a little before I begin the cosmetic surgery. Hopefully it can come out of hybernation next spring ready to roll for another 50 years.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc