drive

Been tinkering with the ol' 58 since I drug it home in March. Two weeks ago discovered the fuel pump was bad - I ordered a new one & finally got around to installing it today.

The truck started & moved under its own power today for the first time in 15 years!!!!

Smooth idle - no missing - no smoke

I love it!

Of course it is nowhere near ready to drive but the major stuff is out of the way!.

The first thing I did to the truck was replace the rear main seal. I then rebuilt the carb - 15 year old gas had all but ruined it.

Then two weeks ago I flushed the tank, blew the lines & hooked it all up, but no gas - new pump & pow!

The truck has a major fuel leak at the pump. One of the brass fittings is cracked. I couldn't find a replacement at Menards or Ace hardware. It sprays gas pretty bad.

The oil filter is leaking oil very bad - That may just need to be tightened down.

I need to rebuild the master cylinder. I will eventually replace with a power - dual res. one. but for now if I can get it to stop when I push the pedal I will be happy.

Finally - there is a very minor wiring issue where the headlights don't turn on, but I know where that is & it needs an ignition switch.

Once all of this is done - all minor issues - the truck will be road ready!

It will be on the road this summer!

I've got three weeks of lay off coming in July & August - I will have time to tinker.


Last edited by Midget Farmer; 07/06/2009 3:12 AM.

1958 Chevy Apache 3200
bone stock 235
53k miles
3 on the tree