I have ben helping friends clean up a private 1947/55 junkyard and as much as I posted and talked to people, only a hand full came out to the place. This week we are starting to scrap the rest of the yard. We will be scrapping over 50 heads, twenty engines and parts that you will have a hard time finding anywhere.

It's a shame, but with the economy as bad as it is and it could be worse in the future, people just don't have the money to buy. The old junkyards will survive by scraping what they have left.

Most of the old junk yards have long been closed because of suburbia creeping up on them and the EPA Regulations becoming stricter. A lot of the restrictions proved to be too costly for the old timers and they just scrapped out the old hulks. The regulators have required the yards to put in secondary containments for oil, pave their lots with asphalt or crushed granite, fence the entire lot with 8' fences and limit the traffic by big trucks. Deal Auto wrecker in Richmond California is one of the last in the area that has thirties and forties cars and trucks. There are a few old 50's in there too.

I know that when the last piece of iron from the yard goes to the scrapper, I will be kicking myself for not getting more parts, but the reality is, I can't keep stock piling this stuff anymore.