Hello all,
I am new to the site and I am excited about all that there is to learn! I just bought a 1963 GMC 4x4 1/2 ton. I am restoring it (the best that I know how anyway) and I just got done painting it dark jade metallic green. (painted it in my driveway at the mercy of mother earth and all her elements)
Anyway, the guy I got it from is certain that the rear axle is a 1963, however, the specified rear brake drum for this truck, and this years, rear axle, (leaf springs) does not fit back far enough to the backing plate. ie: there is a gap between the back of the drum and the backing plate of about an inch. There were, however, two drums that came extra (with the truck) that fit like they should and must have been the right ones that came with the axle (they cannot be turned though)
Does anyone know what the difference is between a 1963 brake drum and a 1964?
ps, I would post pics but I have not figured out how yet.
Last edited by papacatastrophe; 05/22/2009 1:55 PM.