So, it appears I have 3 options:

Option 1 - purchase an 18-inch, 216 or early 235 fan and install it on my short-shaft pump. The fan would cost $29 + shipping (Jim Carter). The down-side is potential cooling issues.

Option 2 - drill and tap 4 new holes in my short-shaft pump and a larger hole in my 19-inch, late-235 fan. Use washers to clear the harmonic balancer.

Option 3 - sell my new short-shaft pump (assume $100 loss). Buy a long-shaft pump and an adapter plate ($140+shipping), and hope my late-model 235 fan bolts up to this configuration. Total cost would be $240, but the up-side of this option is better cooling.

I think I like Option 2, but I'm wondering what else I'm forgetting. Has anybody tried this? I'm also a bit nervous about adequate cooling. In this part of California, it frequently exceeds 100F in the summer.