OK, here's the deal...I have this problem every 8-9 months or so with my Rochester carb (a "C" is stamped next to it, GM stamped to the side of it; I only hear about Rochester B's...)--I'll be riding along, everything running fine, and the engine will spit, sputter and stop. I have to take off the carb, blow out all of the holes, jets, et al., with compressed air, then all is fine.
I replaced the gas tank a couple of months back, thinking there was crud in the old one, installed a filter just outside of the tank, then another just before the carb, but the same thing happened today.
It's to the point where I'm not confident enough to drive it too often or far, lest I have to get towed back or dismantle the carb, then take a can of compressed air for cleaning computer keyboards to the openings and apertures, then re-install (a pain in decent clothing and/or on a hot day).
My question: does anybody else have this problem with such frequency? I have filters on the gas line, I don't use any teflon tape (or the like) that might flake off and cause a carb blockage. Are Rochester's known to have this problem? I can't believe a carb (especially when these trucks were originally used on farms) could be that sensitive; it's ridiculous. I know nothing significant in size is getting into the carb and clogging up the works. I'm at a loss.
Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.