I have a 1944 GMC CCKW Duece and 1/2. The truck broke down due to a fuel problem and during the repeated starting, one of the teeth in the starter bendix let go. When I had it off, I noticed the ring gear teeth were pretty chewed up. I got it going but very shortly there was a loud grinding noise coming from the starter area.
I need to find a new flywheel. Jim Carter has the bendix but no complete starter unit. The truck is parked at a WWII Museum where we were doing a display. I need to take whatever the simplest solution will be to the truck. I know I can get the ring gear separate but it will take an oven to separate it from the flywheel. I can get just the bendix but I don't want to find out the motor is shot too. It is a 200 mile round trip.
SpookyDad