The fatigue cracking is a concern, for that reason I would not use copper, there are better materials out there (even if copper was used for a long time...)

How about some copper nickel alloy, it polishes up to a combination of copper and stainless, looks like neither one or the other, looks about half way in-between. It is easy to work with like copper/unlike stainless, is not prone to cracking, and will not rust. It is not available everywhere, but you can get it from these folks, sold as "Cunifer" http://www.fedhillusa.com/
At first I thought it was pretty expensive, but after using it and also stainless the slightly higher price of the copper-nickle line is well worth the ease of use and reduced frustration. I don't plan to use much if any stainless line any more.

You can get it cheaper on ebay from the UK, possibly cheaper than stainless? http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/_W0QQ_nkwZkuniferQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ
About half price of fedhill after figuring exchange rate and shipping. I'll try them when I need to order more. The folks at fedhill are nice, but some competition would be good for the prices (but obviously not for them).

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-