Graydon-
What you are going through I just did a couple months ago. I know how the system works, and what it took to get the title. I'll send you a PM. Give me a call, I can step you through it and answer any questions you have (although I've summarized it
here.) Check your private message, and call me if you like.
Also, there is good information presented previously, but not all of it "sticks." TxDOT will NOT provide a list of bonding companies because they would then be steering business to a private firm, which smacks of favoritism/corruption. It took me 80 miles to hear this directly from the TxDOT clerk's mouth. Secondly, a previous owner may make claim to your vehicle and can take ownership. However, your BOND is your insurance policy against this. If your county tax assessor is like mine, they will insist (not suggest, not recommend, etc.) that you have a bond or they will stop the paperwork before it even leaves your county. You can apply for a bond hearing to circumvent this, but my county stopped bond hearings once the assessor became a lame duck and forced me to have the bond. I doubt my experience is unique, and bet Brazos County will be similar. The truck I bought for $4000 had a value of $7900 placed on it by the state (no appraisal required in my circumstance, but yours probably will) and the bond was $120, expiring after 3 years.
Gig'em,
Bill