I drove Old Red ('51 3100) yesterday for the first time in 25 years. 6 miles, 15 minutes. The engine ran great, but I have two problems.

1) There is a 'clunk' sound which occurs at the rate of speed of the wheels. The faster I go, the more frequent the 'clunk'. When I'm stopped, no sound. I jacked up the rear end and put her in gear, and I believe the sound is ocming from the rear differential. It occurs in all gears. There's plenty of lube in there. Can anybody make a guess as to what the problem might be?

2) My speedometer cable makes a whining / screeching noise. Can these be serviced, or should I just buy a new one?

It was a joy driving her, but I fear the differential problem will keep me off the road.

Thanks for any help.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216