My brother (who is now retired) borrowed the bottle of pot. chromate from his shop teacher in high school many decades ago and never returned it.
It is a chemical reaction with the tannin in the oak as opposed to just staining the the wood. It has a look similar to the old mission type (arts and craft)furniture that used ammonia to colour the wood.
A few table spoons of the orange crystals in water and brush it on. I downloaded a MSDS sheet and it is quite nasty to get on your skin. It drys with a satin look and brightens up with the finish.
I used it on an oak coffee table that I built once.
I also read that you can coat pine in tea and it will work on the pine as well. (tannin in the tea)
I tried different stain samples and didn't see anything I liked.
I had the oak already so total cost was the spar varnish.
I think it will be a different look to the blond oak look and SS strips.
Thanks for asking
Lindsay