Thanks Gents-I googled this and found that generally this can be a problem however there are many who say they have done it successfully-even with MIG. I've read that the recipe for cast iron can vary quite a bit-and the mix you have is a factor as to how well it will weld. Preheating and post heating is an option but I've also read you can do the reverse..I.E. by welding in a way that doesn't heat the part too much to begin with.

Jeff-you are right..unfortunately sometimes I'm dumber than a stump- I bought this on EBAY 2 years ago.. When it arrive broken I thought...no problem I'll use a plate off a spare generator I have..it was easier than returning it..but last nite I found that a front plate from a regular generator is different from a generator that has the power steering pump attached. It probaly will fit but it doesn't provide the same mounting details. I need to fix this or find a plate..which is unlikely.

Thanks for the response

Keith

Last edited by Slickriffs; 09/26/2008 2:53 PM.