Originally Posted by Grigg
Brian,

Your 6V53 may have a gummy governor,...........
Do you have a good service manual yet? I like the later version that is in two separate white 3 ring binders.

Grigg


Some good info thanks. I have a detroit service manual on CD.

All I can do is guess about why the motor is yellow now but some green paint does show under the yellow. I think it been rebuilt some time in its past. The governer body is the only part not painted so I guess it been replaced or rebuilt. I will take the cover off and look in side to see if what it looks like.
On a diesel foram a long time DD machanic says to try backing out the buffer screw some.
Over time I will go over it by the book and set it up right.

Here is a video of what it doing.
YouTube 653 Idle problems

Brian