| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,344 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 199 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 199 | 59 Apache 1/2 Ton Stock 235 with a new HEI distributor with stock appearance round coil that comes with the HEI.
I have determined (with help) that my new mini HEI distributor does NOT use the OEM style ballast resistor. My new Stock harness was adjusted to remove the ignition wire and coil wire from the resistor and left taped up in case I need to go back original.
Now for the electrical education you can give me as I am providing power to the new Distributor Coil as the instructions provide. They just do not give me quite enough information for this application:
Instructions call for a 10 gauge(mandatory) wire to the coil. I surmise from the information I received as well as this from Jerry that it is a good idea to follow the instructions! The GM HEI coil has such a low primary winding resistance that it's necessary to use a big wire to allow it to come up to full charge on the magnetism quickly. Once the magnetic core is saturated properly, they use a combination of the inductive reactance of the coil windings and a built-in current limiter to prevent overloading of the transistor amplifier in the ignition module. Jerry
Makes sense to me as it sounds scary to not use the 10 gauge. Here are the basic questions:
1. The 10 gauge wire will go to the coil from the ignition switch (I assume it has to) but the wire bringing power to the ignition switch comes from the Ammeter right? And that is not 10 gauge. Does that matter or does the 10 gauge only need to begin at the ignition switch?
2. I do not think there is a fuse anywhere in this story so is it a good idea to fuse that 10 gauge wire between the switch and the coil? If so, what amp in line fuse should I put in?
3. I have the foot stomp 3 pole switch. BATT, ACCY and START. The 10 gauge wire will be on the START terminal along with the gas gauge wire. The ammeter wire will be on the BATT terminal and a couple of things like signal flasher will be on the ACCY. Any issues with that setup.
As I do not have a real skilled background in the wiring, I made great use of the numbered instruction sheet that came with the Carter supplied original harness. This HEI/Coil application calling for the 10 gauge wire does not really say from where or to what extent the 10 gauge wire must be used. I want to make ZERO SMOKE here. I like the new stuff I bought and do not like the smell of burning insulation. Any advice on this for me. I still have to power the optional fuse panel also but I want to get this ignition circuit squared away first.
Thanks Ralph | | |
| |
| |