Q-jets have a little soft metal plug underneath the bowl that can leak down into the intake manifold and you will never know it except the bowl will drain itself dry pretty quickly with no explaination. It drains into the intake so you never see or smell the gas. You have to take the bowl off the throttle body to see it. I bet that is leaking, causing you to have to crank the fuel pump until the bowl fills up so you can start it. It covers one of the drilled passages to the main jets. You need to cover it with JB-Weld or your favourite epoxy and I bet that will fix it. I ran into the fix in a Rochester carb book (can't remember which)
I have rebuilt 2 Qjets, one in my Jeep (off a 350 Buick) and one in my dad's boat (350 Chevy). The one on the jeep leaked.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.