My new reproduction original style wiring harness is all installed and was easy enough for a non wiring typr guy like me. It is numbered and has the simple instruction sheet matching numbers to terminals etc. But when I get to the last step for me which is the original style foot stomp key switch, which has BAT IGN and ACCY only, I seem to have more wires than terminals. The sheet options says FOOT START IGNITION SWITCH WITH TWO IGNITION TERMINALS.....nope that is not what I have. Next option is KEY START IGNITION SWITCH WITH TWO IGNITION TERMINALS...nope not that one either and lastly KEY START IGNITION SWITCH WITH ONE TERMINAL, but it is for a starter with a solenoid, not the simple foot stomp.
My original switch was a three terminal just like the reproduction. My new original style 55-59 harness has a wire IGNITION SWITCH (IGN 1) TO RESISTOR LOWER TERMINAL TO COIL+ and has a IGNITION SWITCH (IGN2) TO RESISTOR UPPER TERMINAL. This of course confuses me right away as I only have one ignition terminal on the switch. Then I have a wire TEMP GAUGE TO ACCY TERMINAL (simple enough). Then AMMETER TO BAT (simple again) A wire marked START TERMINAL TO SIDE STARTER TERMINAL....which I assume is really the IGN TERMINAL on the switch I hope as I do not have a START terminal. Finally I have a wire that is marked IGN1 TO GAS GAUGE. I assume again that would be from the sole IGN terminal?
The two wires listed above that call for IGN 1 and IGN 2, both to the resistor have me goofed up along with the one listed as START TERMINAL TO STARTER..start terminal I hope is the sole IGN terminal? What gives? Any help or insight you can provide is appreciated. I have no problem following directions since I am not well studied (idiot) in the wonders of electrons etc. But when the directions do not match what I have in hand, then it is up to you guys to steer me straight. Thanks Ralph


~ Rasman
1971 Chevy C10
"Old Yeller"
Saga: "'Old Yeller' ... More than a Pristine 1971 Chevy"
1959 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Legacy Gallery