OK, I've searched on this topic and only got more confused. There is a lot of conflicting information - when replacing the upper rear main rope seal the following have been suggested:
1. remove transmission, timing cover/harmonic balancer.... seems like a lot of work - is this really the best way. My crank did nor drop when the main caps were removed and the pry bar method from Stovebolt Tech Tips seems a bit irrational. Comments?
2. Yes or No to RTV sealant at the rope ends? Please explain.
3. If the modern Fel-Pro rope gaskets without asbestos do not last long (this is what I've read) whats a better solution?
4. To assist with installing the upper rope, some say to soak the rope in oil but others say no not soak in oil. If this seal is an oil seal, why not soak it?
5. What about rubber seals? Is this an option for the 216 rear main seal? Some say yes while others say no.
I'd really like to hear from you, especially if you have personal experience with this issue.