Ever since I built the modified 261 in my 37 truck 6 years ago, it's always leaked alittle oil from the headgasket on the pushrod side of the engine.Not a gusher, but enough to make a mess that needs to be wiped down once a month.Both the head and block were milled ,I installed the headgasket dry like on my other 261-235's.
I just finally pulled the head to fix the leak,all the bolts were torqued properly, a check with a machinists straight engine shows the block and head surfaces are perfectly flat in all directions. The engine leaked absolutley no coolant or compression, just seeped oil.
I have the new gasket in hand,Detroit brand ,like on my other engines,soft material on both sides, metal in the middle.These 261 headgaskets are the type requiring a re torque.The soft material is factory covered with something slippery like a graphite paint.
So, do I paint the gasket with Permatex Copper head gasket sealer or?