I would recommend NOT trying to take the odometer wheel assembly apart and attempting to rotate the individual wheels to get it back to zero. I've seen very few done by a novice, that didn't have a misalignment of the digits, or didn't function at all.

On my 54, I simply used the decal kit from one of the normal vendors....marked a line across the numbers that were in front of the little window...carefully removed the whole little wheel assembly intact (You may have to loosen the speedo face....see caution below) and apply the decals on the mark, wiping down the drum assembly beforehand with some alcohol. It's going on 2 years since I applied the decals....they look as good as the day they were installed.

The kit also includes the gauge face decals which are a snap to apply to refreshen the gauge appearance. The trick is to use a couple drops of water/soap solution on the old gauge face. Just enough to wet it so you can move the decal around to position it correctly under the needles. When you've got it positioned correctly, use a q-tip to squeege out the water and any bubbles of air. NOTE: a couple drops of dish soap in a glass of water is sufficient.

When working with the speedo be very careful with the main needle....it will break off with just a minimum of force.

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"