I went the other way, I have one commercial rotary phase converter, which is nothing more than a static converter plus a 5 HP idler motor. This would allow you to drive anything in your shop up to something less than the 5 hp.
I have also made a unit, and there are free plans on the internet for making anything from a simple static unit to a fully automatic unit. I will be making another larger unit to drive my 3 phase welder when I finish building my shop. This unit will have a 10 hp idler, or 2 5 hp units if I can't find a 10.
I have some links, if there is someone interested in learning how they work or want to make one.
Bob


55 Cameo 396 TH 400 with overdrive
65 Caliente conv
67 BB Caliente conv
67 Mercury 1 Ton
76 GMC 3/4 ton 454ci
84 Buick Turbo Regal