Bucket,

Further info from my mechanic -- an exchange that convinces I need to creep this rig slowly up to North Carolina and quit trying to do this by remote. Good barbecue on the back roads between Georgia and here. He describes the diff as a front-load 12-bolt, similar to a Ford nine-inch, lacking an inspection cover. As Bill aptly describes in post above, the rig has coil springs with leaf spring 'helpers.' Talked to a fella with a Washington state outfit called Randy's Ring and Pinion who mentioned swapping out what I've got for a later model 14 bolt for a 3/4 or 1 ton with a 6 bolt pinion support, free floating axles, stay away from the C-clips. I'm told I ought to be able to get one for $250 or so, then get the ring, pinion, etc. to get me where I want to go. I think I want to try to keep the extra strength of a 3/4 rather than go the 1/2 ton route, if I can avoid same.

Again my thanks to you and Bill for walking me through this.

Jim